So the first prompt for BootsnAll’s 2012 Indie Travel Challenge is to write a list of my travel resolutions for 2012. Whilst I’m not usually one for new years resolutions – this blog prompt seems incredibly serendipitous for me, seeing as just a few days ago on 1st January I left home for a one-way journey that will hopefully see me travelling for the entire of 2012. I haven’t up to this point ever written down my plans, so this seems a good opportunity to commit the jumble of ideas in my head to the written word! So here goes:
1. Couchsurf wherever possible
2. Become a qualified divemaster
3. Complete at least one multi-day trek – in Northern Thailand, Laos or Vietnam
4. Attend a 10-day meditation retreat in Thailand
5. Volunteer on at least one veterinary project in Asia
6. Visit Burma as independently as possible
7. Go wreck diving in the Philippines
8. See Orang-utans and Komodo dragons in Indonesia
9. Get a working holiday visa for Australia
10. Spend time (at least a month, if several months each) living and working in Perth and Sydney
11. See the total solar eclipse in November near Cairns
12. Visit Uluru
13. Take a long train ride across Australia
14. Be in Australia for New Year 2013 – preferably watching the fireworks over Sydney Harbour Bridge!
So, there it is!!! 14 things I resolve to acheive in my travels this year. Watch this space!